Friday, January 14, 2005

This Devil's WorkDay - Modest Mouse





Last year, I was fighting for this mega project in a foreign country which initially we had thought we won but suddenly was slipping away from our hands. More importantly, this was a project for a country which I had a personal responsibility over it. Losing the project would reflect very badly on my track record and definitely decrease my chances of getting a good increment. So, it became a long, hard and dirty battle. Dirty tactics were used, manipulation tactics were used, all to make sure that the competitor would be wiped out from the picture. Ultimately, we won the project but not without any consequences.

My manager attributed the success to my hard work and clever strategy. I actually thought I was lucky: I had an inside man. No, make it an inside man AND an inside woman. Now, the lady, she was a friend first and client later, but she sort of helped put in a good word for us since she is one of the more influential key players in the project. But the man, now that's another story. This guy actually ASKED me what do I have in store for him if I want him to help my company out for the project. As much as I resent this sort of approach, I had to give in. So we struck a deal. And next week, that deal will be fulfilled. I will be personally flying in to this country and hand deliver the blood (oil?) money.

I love my job. But this is one of the aspects of my job that I am at battles with.

what would you do?