Thursday, March 17, 2005

Bandwagonesque - Teenage Fanclub

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm usually one who stays away from those "friendster" like list ( "Who's the last person you killed?" "When was the last time you had bondage sex?" etc2..). Ive got nothing against them, its just that most of the time, I really2 dont have time to actually sit down and go through ( or maybe my dislike in answering obtuse questionairres). But this time, I am going to jump on the bandwagon and actually entertain one of them. Since it has to do with music, my primary indulgence, I will take the time to answer these questions ( question copped from Kudo's blog. Mintak maaf ye bang!)

1)What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
Soulseek, Kazaa Lite, Limewire....there are always ON on my laptop. Yes, dear folks, I am a MP3 LEECHER ( Is RIAA watching me??) but that does not mean I dont buy original CDs! ( even though those imported CDs at Music Magic CM are really stretching my wallet thin!).
At the moment, only 2++ Gigs, as the rest have been burned onto CDRs.

2)The CD you last bought?
Butterfinger's "Selamat Tinggal Dunia" & 7 Collar T-Shirt's "Drones". Support the local scene!

3)What was the last song you listened to before reading this message?
Lift Me Up - Moby. Moby doing New Wave/Post Punk. Was actually watching the video last night with N, who went on to say that "hey... a bunch of nerds rocking out, you fit right in!"....emmmm. Yes, us nerds do make fantastic music nowadays, better than those bling2 hip hoppers. :P

4)My all-time, Top 5 records, in no particular order, are as follows:
This has gotta be the hardest, like one of those "Desert Island Discs" type of questions:

1) Pearl Jam - Vs
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When I first heard "Ten" , I was still in my teens, fresh out of SPM. It was something Ive never heard of before, but I instantly knew there was something special about this band. But it was only after Vs did it finally sealed it; I will be a Pearl Jam fan for life. This was the sound of the band at its prime, at its most powerful. Although they still continue to make wonderful music until now, this will always be in my heart, my favourite Pearl Jam album. And the only album that has a favourtite song of mine that they have since refused to play live, WMA.

2) Portishead - S/T
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Can depression and darkness sound much more beautiful than this? My first "Electronica" record and what a wonderful journey it was. Beth Gibbon's harrowing tales of long lost loves and heartbreaking coupled with Geoff Barrow's masterful use of noir samples makes this one of those records you listen to in the dark, on a rainy day, while trying to resist the temptation to slit your wrist. :P

3) Radiohead - OK Computer
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

What can I say about this band that has not been exhaustively said already? I have to admit, I hated it the first time I listened to it. After the Brit rock anthems of The Bends, this was like listening to Pink Floyd on meth. But it after a the second or third listens, it hit me in the head like a brick to the wall. This is a work of geniuses, channelling paranoia and dystopian nightmares through sonic tapestries, beautiful but skewed guitar melodies and the various effect pedals and other musical maladies used . This was the first evolution of Radiohead as they attempt to ditch the moniker of a traditional "guitar-bass-drum-vocals" band. And It is a classic.


4)Soundgarden - SuperUnknown
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The most commercial Soundgarden album ever. Every single song screams "HIT!!". But commercial does not always mean "sanitized" as this is a PERFECT collection of songs that demonstrates the awesome songwriting prowess of Mssrs Cornell and Co. From the bludgeoning "Drown Me" to the gentle but devastating progression of "Like Suicide" ( Asian Edition Only!!) , this is one record I have never SKIPPED a track. ever. They will be missed.

5)U2 - Achtung Baby
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Like Radiohead, this is the sound of a band trying to break free of the image that has been tagged on to them previously. U2 has always been known to be earnest, anthemic, rocking and heartfelt band. But THIS, this was U2 sounding SEXY and MODERN, adjectives that were never used to describe them before. With Edge's new found love of digital multi processor effects ( while still maintaining his trademark delays) and Bono injecting a much needed rock and roll swagger in the songs, this is an instant classic.




Of course there are many more, such as albums by Led Zeppelin, Mogwai, Jimi Hendrix, Belinda Carlisle ( im not kidding!) etc2... but hey, since I'm only allowed 5.....:P


cheers.